Please note:

In response to increases in COVID-19 cases, California Department of Human Resources (CalHR) is implementing COVID-19 testing of all unvaccinated state employees working on site as an additional health and safety standard to protect the state workforce and the public it serves.

Student Employment

State departments hire Student Assistants using two different options.

Option #1: The department advertises their own vacancies and hires student assistants directly. For additional information about the student job classifications listed below, select the title under the classification heading. For information regarding current open Student Assistant positions, select the current posted vacancies information listed under vacancies and adjacent to the classification you are interested in.

Student job classifications
ClassificationJob SpecVacancies
Youth Aid View Spec View Jobs
Graduate Student Assistant View Spec View Jobs
Student Assistant View Spec View Jobs
Student Assistant Engineering and Architectural Sciences View Spec View Jobs
Clinical Psychology Intern View Spec View Jobs
Microbiologist Intern View Spec View Jobs
Psychiatric Technician Student View Spec View Jobs
Student Aid View Spec View Jobs
Student Engineering Aid View Spec View Jobs
Environmental Services Intern View Spec View Jobs

Option #2: The department hires their student assistants through a partnership program with a local college. Many state agencies use University Enterprises Inc. (UEI) and the Community College Foundation (CCF) when filling their student assistant vacancies. Contact your local college, UEI or CCF to inquire about gaining student employment through a program with a local college(s).

It is important to understand that UEI/CCF Student Assistant positions are part-time, non-benefited positions, whereas civil service Student Assistants do earn some benefits.